Hire a Driver in Sri Lanka
Note: We worked with two drivers and tour guides in Sri Lanka and whole-heartedly recommend them both.
To contact and learn more about the drivers in this post and view pictures of them, go here: Honest Drivers and Guides in Sri Lanka
Because other travelers love Mervyn Perera's service and want to help him, I'm collecting reviews about his tours here.
We’ve learned from several sources that
This our driver, Mervin, showing us how to drink from a King Coconut:
We were looking for a good way to see the major cities, cultural sites, beaches and wildlife of
Here’s what US$90 per day includes for both of us.
- Modern 4 door sedan with A/C and a full gas tank each morning
- English-speaking, honest and safe driver available to us 24 hrs/day (includes his R&B)
- Pick-up and drop-off at the airport
- Lodging at mid-range and top-end hotels and guest houses
- Sit-down breakfasts each morning
- All entry fees to parks, museums, temples and tourist spots (between $3 and $40 each)
- All expenses for an afternoon wildlife safari (entry fees, Land Rover & driver, tracker guide – about US$80)
- 3 expert English-speaking guides to the 3 ancient cities
- Full itinerary/tour planning for the 9 days
What is not so obvious makes this decision very worthwhile:
- A local driver to explain the colonial history, politics, local etiquette, scams, and local street vendor snacks like King Coconut freshly cut with a machete
- Someone to set us heading in the right direction and watch our bags during every activity – the car is never out of his sight
- Someone to make all reservations and sort out any issues
- Complete independence from tour busses or vans – it’s just Lee and me
- No need for road navigation so we can enjoy the sights
- Comfortable rides in A/C where public transport squeezes 17 people in a 7 person van – no A/C of course
- Flexibility to change a day’s schedule on a whim – very important when your stomach isn’t doing so well or you’re tired from the day’s hike
To this expense, add a few tips here and there, and lunch and dinner for two (less than US$20 total) and you have a great trip to
What about the adventure of figuring it out for ourselves? Yes, we factored that in when we made our decision. We like the adventure, but with so little time here we wanted to make the most of it, and as Lee mentioned earlier, we’re not 20-year old backpackers and are greatly appreciating the A/C six degrees from the equator.
You can learn more about our driver and his contact information on this post.